Thursday, August 24, 2017

Waking up in an Ostomy Nightmare

There are some things that you fear when you have an ostomy.  That is waking up with the bag off and torn and filth everywhere. The worst part is the fear that you didn't wake up but your spouse woke you up.  That is my biggest fear and what I worried about most after my ostomy surgery. Luckily it is a bad dream that has never come to life. I am happy to say that due to my luck or choice of good products that it has not even really been a possibility as far as I can see. What I am actually saying is that you don't have to worry about it that much.  If you are using the right gear then you will be more than prepared for any issues in the night. So how do you get prepared?

Well, I suggest first and foremost learning all you can from your healthcare provider and ostomy nurse.  That is a good start and they are loaded with information.  If you are beyond that point and simply need some good advice then go to the good old internet.  That is where I learned that ostomy store existed and a whole bunch of other companies too.  Their Supplies is a gear manufacturer and they also put out a lot of content for people with a stoma.  I have found their website a really good place to start. When you get brave enough you can call in and start asking questions and so far they have been a really good help. But my favorite place to go is the good old YouTube.

Yes, I picked up the premium account because I spend way too much time looking up ostomy gear and I have to admit, its been worth it.  I am a gear junky and lots of people on their are as well.  Find and follow a few people with the life habits and styles that you like that also have an ostomy and you can get some great tips.  And also learn from a lot of epic fails.  It all is knowledge and it can all be for free with commercials haha. But really it is a great place to get tips on the questions you don't want to ask people in person. I highly suggest spending some time there and finding out more about the things you like to do and how to do them well.



No comments:

Post a Comment